Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Comes into effect Monday - thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue
Comes into effect Monday - thoughts?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/he...14576.html

... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #254744 25th Feb 2015 1:22 pm
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

About time. If you are unfit to drive you should not be driving. Does not matter if you have a cold, sore arm whatever. The roads are bad enough without dopey dosed up sickies behind the wheel thinking they are fully capable. Stay at home or get the bus. FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #254746 25th Feb 2015 1:58 pm
piattj

So do you drive with a cold, do you take a remedy (which might metabolise into morphine in your body) or stay at home, cos you just don't know if you'll be booked, even though you feel able to drive safely? It's a bit tricky.
I see Greater Manchester Police are refusing to enforce this until the vagueries are sorted...
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...ew-8705484

... ...

Post #254748 25th Feb 2015 2:15 pm
bbrap

If your cold symptoms are severe enough to require medication you should not drive. If its just a sniffle take some honey and lemon, but if you are sneezing, coughing and honking and feel like death, stay at home. FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #254751 25th Feb 2015 2:48 pm
piattj

If only it were that simple. Whistle ...

Post #254761 25th Feb 2015 4:56 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I use a scooter for my daily commute and as soon as the warm weather is here and I am filtering between lines of cars in traffic jams/slow moving traffic, I must pass at least half a dozen motorists smoking weed in a 3 mile stretch of the A13. Ive always wondered why can't the Police filter along too and nick the B Censored s? Perhaps they can/will now. Whistle

Post #254766 25th Feb 2015 5:57 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Steve D wrote:
I must pass at least half a dozen motorists smoking weed

Yes. You beat me to it. I see it daily the further I head towards Birmingham.....cant think why that would be! Whistle

Steve D wrote:
Perhaps they can/will now. Whistle

Don't be daft....that will require "diversity boxes" to be ticked, and we all know just how much paperwork is involved following that little exercise.... Banging Head

Or, if you DO get caught...try this line of defence. Works for certain members of the 'ker-mooooonityyyyyyy', apparently!!

http://goo.gl/kzwV2B Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #254771 25th Feb 2015 6:07 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

bbrap wrote:
If your cold symptoms are severe enough to require medication you should not drive. If its just a sniffle take some honey and lemon, but if you are sneezing, coughing and honking and feel like death, stay at home.

The last place I worked before retirement was full of quite ill people who should have stayed at home - why? - because there was no sick pay scheme. No turn up = no pay. Sadly this is becoming more widespread. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #254808 25th Feb 2015 9:28 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Badger1970 wrote:
Steve D wrote:
I must pass at least half a dozen motorists smoking weed

Yes. You beat me to it. I see it daily the further I head towards Birmingham.....cant think why that would be! Whistle

Steve D wrote:
Perhaps they can/will now. Whistle

Don't be daft....that will require "diversity boxes" to be ticked, and we all know just how much paperwork is involved following that little exercise.... Banging Head

Or, if you DO get caught...try this line of defence. Works for certain members of the 'ker-mooooonityyyyyyy', apparently!!

http://goo.gl/kzwV2B

Since when did religion enable immunity for breaking the law? Doesn't make sense to me, if you break the law you should pay the punishment...... what is this world coming to?

Post #254811 25th Feb 2015 9:39 pm
bbrap

JST wrote:
bbrap wrote:
If your cold symptoms are severe enough to require medication you should not drive. If its just a sniffle take some honey and lemon, but if you are sneezing, coughing and honking and feel like death, stay at home.

The last place I worked before retirement was full of quite ill people who should have stayed at home - why? - because there was no sick pay scheme. No turn up = no pay. Sadly this is becoming more widespread.

I see your point and fully understand why people do it. However, driving whilst not fit to do so should be clamped down upon whatever the reason. Having an office/factory/workplace full of sick people makes no sense, particularly if they are undertaking a job that requires a level of competence, I suspect an Air Traffic controller would not be tolerated if they were unwell, and neither should anyone doing other jobs. I might come over as a hard bastard but people who infect others because they are too selfish really annoy me. Sorry, I'll go and lie down now Sad FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #254815 25th Feb 2015 9:56 pm
piattj

as ever, innocent folk get screwed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-test.html ...

Post #257453 19th Mar 2015 12:28 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

People continue to turn up when totally full of sniffles, sneezing, couging, wheezing and any comibination of all these.

The reason behind it most of the time is that sickness is now recorded more closely, and if you are off sick more than 2/3 times with the same problem (be it a simple cold or an open compound fracture of the femur) then the bosses will send you to occupational health for checks and penalise you accordingly (loss of bonus, loss of pay rise etc etc)

This will stop the serial sick blaggers who just take the day off to get rid of hangover or whatever (we had one bloke at my last place who openly stated that sick days were extra holidays and he was entitled to take them) but negatively impact the genuine sickies.

While the round robin culture of sick day abuse and over zealous employers is in play then people will continue to dose themselves with day nurse/night nurse (other cold remedies are available) and turn up for work dosed up, me included.

And that will involve me driving whilst under the influence of day nurse as I cant quite walk 35 miles each way yet (im still in training)

Post #257457 19th Mar 2015 12:49 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

I thought it was just night nurse which makes you drowsy so obviously not advisable to drive but could be wrong.

Post #257463 19th Mar 2015 2:28 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

night nurse knocks me right out.................... and it does say on the box, the leaflet and the bottle that its not advisable to drive while on it.

I just think its going to be yet another unenforcable law to calm the mass peace loving brigade.

Post #257464 19th Mar 2015 2:36 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

RogB wrote:
[snip]... I just think its going to be yet another unenforcable law to calm the mass peace loving brigade.

With ever improving measuring technology and consumer education, driving whilst impaired through drugs, prescription or otherwise, will ultimately become a binary offence with little or no reasonable defence. Either you are at or below the prescribed limits or you are above and have thus committed the offence, as with drink driving.

Doctors will likely add the 'no driving' instruction to (relevant) prescriptions, in order to protect themselves from the 'my doctor didn't tell me not to drive' defence or subsequent litigation and over the counter medicines will be down to the consumer in the same way as a bottle of whisky is now.

Post #257475 19th Mar 2015 5:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>