« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 25 <123 4 ... 232425>
Print this entire topic · 
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had mine done today.

2 updates done on mine apparently - one for engine control module and one for transmission control module. 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #241812 20th Nov 2014 5:17 pm
Billsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

Does this hesitation throw any codes?
My 2011 manual hesitates briefly (as if not fuelling) usually when in low gears and low revs when accelerating.

More aparant when trying to accelerate in 2nd and 3rd gear but I can't get it to do it on demand.

It's been in for a service today and for the hesitation to be looked at.
No fault was found.
Dealer reckons affected vehicles with this problem usually store codes and have blamed the fault on a possible dirty fuel filter.

It's more annoying than a real problem but my warranty is nearly up.........

Post #241841 20th Nov 2014 8:27 pm
ad210358

England 

You have reported the problem within warranty, just because they can't find the fault, doesn't mean it isn't there, I wouldn't worry to much.
I had a new gearbox months out of warranty, reported the problem of a notchy gearbox a month before warranty was up, no fault found, they are supposed to be like that, strange that it wasn't like it previously, anyway, three months later I couldn't change gear, no quibble from LR, new gearbox fitted.

Post #241846 20th Nov 2014 8:54 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just to report that my dealer has had my FL2 in for 3 days to complete the investigation as advised by LR but since they have been unable to reproduce the problem they were unable to identify any fault.

I have spoken to the dealer and Ryan at some length and it does appear that the usefulness of the investigation is seriously compromised if the hesitation does not reproduce.

The intention now is to wait until the problem starts occurring again next year and then book the vehicle back in. The dealer as well as Ryan/LR have a good record of events and whilst no-one will commit to anything, the dealer implied that since the problem was reported whilst the vehicle was in warranty, any required work that would have been warranted at the time would be covered.

On a side note the dealer identified a leaking fuel injector which is being replaced under extended warranty. They claim it would no have relation to the hesitation.

At least it's clean again for a while Smile

Whilst I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from having their FL2 looked at, I would give consideration to whether the problem will reproduce and how useful an exercise it would be,

I'd like to commend Ryan for his commitment to my particular case.

Post #244564 11th Dec 2014 5:24 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I am in the same boat with our 11 reg FL2, Since it went in last time and they found no problem and then after it had a service (including fuel filter) the problem has gone away.
I am left with a suspicion that it is either fuel filter related (we had problem starting it or "reduced engine performance" message") or it is ambient temperature dependent. For us the car was bought in March this year and the problem only occurred during the summer months. Now it's OK again.

Post #244627 12th Dec 2014 10:36 am
EYorkshire

No doubt about it, it is 'ambient temperature' related. There will be those that think this particular fault is related to their car and those that are actually are affected, this fault will disappear below 10 degrees and will reappear again next spring/summer.

LR's advice is not to bother while the fault is not apparent as the test will not reveal anything, but to wait until next year. The important thing is to get it recorded on record now.

Post #244643 12th Dec 2014 1:49 pm
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue

Hi all

An update on my car

It has been in the dealers for 2 weeks and they want it for another (although the tailgate paint is also being done) JLR have replaced the Turbo which didn't solve the problem and seeing as the temperature fall below that which caused the hesitation they were having trouble getting the fault to show again

The dealer had a factory technician come to look at my vehicle and they still couldn't get the fault to materialise. I suggested that they frig the temperature sensors into thinking that the ambient temperature was above 15 deg C and they say that this caused the fault to show itself.

The latest diagnosis is a faulty EGR Valve. As others have had the EGR replaced without success I am not entirely convinced and I still think there is a possibility of a software glitch or fundamental gas flow issue (related to the changes in the inlet pipework on MY 2011 possibly) causing mal-operation of the EGR rather than the EGR itself being faulty.

The thing is that I won't know if it's cured when I get my car back until the spring and warmer weather.

JLR should consider taking an affected vehicle back to the factory and running it on a test bed where they can simulate the conditions that cause the issue and analyse what is happening to many more parameters than can be looked at in a dealers facility.

I'll give a further update as and when I know more!

Post #244932 14th Dec 2014 10:59 pm
dorsetfreelander

My dealer told me that JLR already have one in the factory that they are trying to find the fault on.

Although it seems likely, I am not totally convinced about the temperature effect, ours did it one morning when the temp was 8C and it's been OK recently when the temp has varied between 18C and 3C. I live near the sea (500metres) so it never gets really cold. Things got better with ours when the fuel filter was changed at the last service and the "oil service required - visit dealer" message was removed. We had also had poor starting and "reduced performance mode" message. The dealer even wondered if it was DPF related.

As an IT person I am amazed that the fault logging is so poor on these things but I guess we are stuck with some out of date technology inherited from Ford.

Perhaps we should try putting one of the old style "organ pipe" inlet pipes on and see if that helps!

Post #244987 15th Dec 2014 11:50 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

From a diagnosis viewpoint, our retailers rely on a diagnosis of a concern being present in order to be able to seek a resolution.

In order to carry out repairs the retailer will need to recreate a vehicle fault before they can take any action.

May I suggest monitoring your concern and should your vehicle demonstrate a concern, please visit your local retailer at your earliest convenience.

Regards

Ryan Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #244988 15th Dec 2014 12:02 pm
dorsetfreelander

I wonder if there is an issue in that if major mods are required to fix something like this then the car's CO2 emissions figures would be invalidated and the road tax would have to be changed on any car effected?

Post #244989 15th Dec 2014 12:10 pm
Dartman the one

England 

As with most faults that come and go, if it ain't there when tested you can't fix it, The diagnostics needed to trace the fault needs very comprehensive data logging from various sensors, some may be fitted, most not, in the right places, the onboard diagnostics are to maintain the car in its normal service life. Should you wish for such a comprehensive diagnosis to fix anything and flag it up fault log, you may find a Bugatti Veyron a bit of a bargain, and its diagnostics will still not be adequate. Unhelpful I'm sure, but such is life Smile my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #245072 15th Dec 2014 9:44 pm
dorsetfreelander

I understand that, what surprised me was to be told that after three situations where the car would not start at all and then later came up with the "reduced engine performance" message on the dash that nothing was logged at all. The dealer told me that if the fault goes away then it clear the memory. What sense is that? Fault codes should never be cleared automatically.
Over 10 years ago a friend of mine took his BMW in for a service and the dealer asked him if he had been driving the car with the boot open because there was a fault logged and they thought there might be a problem with the boot lock although it seemed to be OK. He had in fact driven it with the boot tied down as he had a Xmas tree in the boot. Now if they could do that 10 years ago......

Post #245099 15th Dec 2014 11:56 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Skidoo
does it get erratic to drive on light throttle at 40-50 mph and appear to be jerky and hesitant !
If it is try another set of tyres from another Freelander and see if it cures it.
If yours is an Auto and has bad hesitation pulling away fit an extra earth strap from the negative side of the battery too a bell housing bolt by the starter.

I helped a garage out with a 2010 Freelander 2 that was very jerky on ligh throttle at 40-50 mph and was horrible to drive and they had already replaced injectors & AFM and EGR and when I got involved looking at the data it was looking like EGR.As soon as the EGR opening got to 18% it got jerky & hesistant to drive.
Kmowing what 4x4's can be like we took a step back and went for an off the wall issue.
The rear tyres were 2mm smaller than the fronts. Fitted 4 new tyres after trying set of wheels off mine and it drove perfect.
Had to be seen to be believed.
I suspect its to do with feedback from the haldex unit.Probably needs some software improving. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #245336 17th Dec 2014 3:39 pm
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue

Hi All,

Reading some of the posts of symptoms and suggested cures, it does actually seem to me that there is a possibility that there are a number of separate issues that have similar but not exactly the same issues. In this respect I can only state with any confidence on the symptoms my own car has.

For my vehicle there was a definite correlation between ambient temperature and the symptoms appearing. The problem has seemed to be worse with an increase in loading (such as Lights and Air-con) though so I am going to fit the additional earth to the starter described elsewhere in the forum as any voltage drop associated with poor earthing can give a multitude of symptoms and fault codes and it is a sensible modification for any Freelander 2.

In my case I am now convinced that the problem with my car (and I hasten to add "my car only") is / was related to EGR Valve operation.

The dealership has told me that they confirmed the symptoms by frigging the inlet air temp sensor to Greater than 15 deg C. They tell me that they have repeated the same tests with a new EGR fitted and no symptoms have re-appeared.

I have had the car back for 2 days and it is definitely running much smoother and as I would expect. I actually think that the JLR tech that came down from the Factory has solved my problem. I will however reserve absolute judgement until ambient temperatures reach 15 deg C and above in the spring.

The only disappointing thing at the moment is that the Dealer has still not managed to carry out the tailgate paint repair and my car will have to go back yet again in the new year.

This means that in the last year my car has been off the road (and not Off-Road) for 8 to 9 weeks in one year and although I love Land Rovers and love my Freelander when it's running properly I have to say to JLR that the level of reliability has been poor.

My final recommendation to all (As a Professional Mechanical Engineer) is to gather enough data from a data logger that records as many engine parameters as possible to show to the Dealer and JLR as the more evidence and data that demonstrates your issues the better.

Regards to all and Have a Merry Xmas

Andy

Post #245879 21st Dec 2014 8:56 pm
Thondwe

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Similar fault on 57 plate

Sounds like a similar fault on a 57 plate - car eventually wouldn't start - turned out that a flap in the Turbo pipework was sticking closed starving the turbo of recycled air (sorry imprecise I know, but message came back from RAC via my wife)

Any help in these cases?
Paul

BTW, ironically my car now in LR with error codes on EGR too!

Post #247825 6th Jan 2015 10:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 25 <123 4 ... 232425>