« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Towbar questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tea Gardens

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Indus Silver
Towbar questions

I need to fit a towbar to my MY 2013 Freelander to tow a van, its around 1600kgs all up and is fitted with LED lights. I am confused regarding wiring loom reversing sensors ETC.
I want fit the Hayman Reese heavy duty bar, electric brake controller and Anderson plug.
Can I use the Hayman Reese wiring loom and fit a switch to isolate the sensors whilst towing, or do I need the very expensive LR loom.
Also as the van has LED lights do I require an adaptor of some sort to make the LED lights work correctly.
Anyone have any recomendations as to a reliable installer in Sydney for the towbar, controller etc.
Also any thoughts on whether a load leveling hitch would be required when towing 1600 KG.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sparky

Post #238981 26th Oct 2014 3:31 am
Nymagee_Boy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Before you go rushing to Sydney's LR dealers, I would suggest that you contact the guys at Triumph Rover Spares in Adelaide because they are Australia's largest LR wrecking yard and they may have a FL2 with a towbar and electrics. I have used these guys many times because I had a FL1 and, on my expeditions between DRW/SYD and Kalgoorlie/SYD, I dropped by the yard to scavenge and see what was available. Further, I am aware of a D3 that had serious problems in Darwin and the local LR dealer could not handle "splitting the cabin from the chassis" and it was flat topped south across the continent to them for repair. There is a very large workshop. You can also "book or take a rain check with them" and wait for a FL2 to arrive with a towbar. When one lives in isolated and remote places on the planet, one develops survival skills. In outback Australia, Land Rovers are not a common vehicle...they are rare. The bush is overrun by Tojo...light trucks and troop carriers. MY08 Freelander 2 HSE TD4
130K kms
Darwin, Northern Territory
Australia

Post #239134 26th Oct 2014 10:05 pm
Tea Gardens

Thanks for the info, I have now discovered that the towbar wiring changed from MY 2013 onwards it is now plug and play once you have the correct Land Rover wiring loom part No VPLFT 0106. you no longer require programming from the dealer. If your vehicle has daytime running lights you have the update wiring.

Post #239140 26th Oct 2014 11:14 pm
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nymagee_Boy wrote:
Before you go rushing to Sydney's LR dealers, I would suggest that you contact the guys at Triumph Rover Spares in Adelaide because they are Australia's largest LR wrecking yard and they may have a FL2 with a towbar and electrics. I have used these guys many times because I had a FL1 and, on my expeditions between DRW/SYD and Kalgoorlie/SYD, I dropped by the yard to scavenge and see what was available. Further, I am aware of a D3 that had serious problems in Darwin and the local LR dealer could not handle "splitting the cabin from the chassis" and it was flat topped south across the continent to them for repair. There is a very large workshop. You can also "book or take a rain check with them" and wait for a FL2 to arrive with a towbar. When one lives in isolated and remote places on the planet, one develops survival skills. In outback Australia, Land Rovers are not a common vehicle...they are rare. The bush is overrun by Tojo...light trucks and troop carriers.

To true about Darwin LR dealers They were supposed to repair my my10 td4 rear diff under the Landrover assured extended warranty .After 12 weeks they still could not organise the required tools so I contacted the warranty company and asked if I could take it to somebody that knew what they were doing and their answer was "we would prefer that" so it was organised and repaired within 3 weeks by my regular workshop
Doug

Post #239707 1st Nov 2014 11:20 am
Tea Gardens

Remind me not to breakdown in Darwin.

Post #239867 2nd Nov 2014 9:07 pm
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tea Garden
there are a few good L/R mechanics who take pride in their work here in Darwin ,the bloke who repaired mine is one of them.The reason it took a couple of weeks was that because the dealers had taken so long to do nothing the diff repair became a major one and required a new diff to be sent from Sydney . If you need warranty work done I suggest that you purchase valium and any other tranquilisers in bulk .
Doug

Post #239880 3rd Nov 2014 2:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1