Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > aS promised my first impression of the Nissan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Dartman the one

England 

Interesting, it looks like a grown up Juke, and appears to be the same body(near enough)to the Infinity QX50 which has a 3.0 l engine and a bit of a different beast (body apart) and priced way above the Metropolis, lots of goodies but possibly in the £50K bracket with all the toys, but nothing about off road capability my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #233497 2nd Sep 2014 11:39 am
athelstan

realspeed wrote:

I was going to carry on about ride comfort- steering -towing and many other things but don't think I will bother now. Sorry. I may not be around so much now but will try looking in occassionally and put in my 2 pennies worth

Realspeed
Please do not stop posting your "experiences" of your XTrail. I am sure that they will be of interest to many forum members - myself included. Thumbs Up
But a "this does it better, lesser, easier, harder" etc than model/manufacturer xyz or abc may not be an appropriate approach. Rolling Eyes

I find many aspects of my dear lady's FL2 infuriating, but overall it does the job it was bought to do daily, and, it has never dumped her stranded on or off road. But in all honesty it is neither a bad vehicle or the best-in-class. Whistle

Post #233511 2nd Sep 2014 1:51 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I think the big difference, apart from the brand, is character.

if you were to take all the badges off the Nissan, you would be hard pushed to identify it. It could be a Kia, Hyundai,etc

but take the badges off any Landrover and it is easily identified.

the Landrover has bundles of character and that's one of the reasons we own one.

Iain

Post #233590 2nd Sep 2014 9:48 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

That ends with the DS. Sad

Post #233601 2nd Sep 2014 10:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

again what has a citron got to do with this? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #233603 2nd Sep 2014 10:30 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Ok I will give my thoughts still but remember these are just my thoughts and observations and not decrying LR in any shape or form. Can I also remind members the comparison is between my own freelander against the Nissan so there a bound to be a huge difference but that is the only comparison I have.

Doing observations like this is not easy to try and keep an even balance between marks. I would love to see how other members would do the same with their previous 4x4's, than maybe realise what one has to think of not to try and offend

Having said that I will do a bit more then

Widows?
Yes I found the window sill height about 3 inches higher than the freelander which is annoying as I did, rightly or wrongly, like to rest my right elbow on. Now if I try that with the Nissan I look like a demented chicken with a distorted wing, so it is back to the quarter to three position as it should be when hands on the wheel. The passenger widow is not a one touch up either it is hand on switch until closed

On the left on the steering wheel there is this little switch on the right conventional cruise control settings etc

This controls the 5 inch screen between the large information dials/clock which is another apart fron the main 7inch sat nav screen to give it a name.

Now this little gadget enables on to do all weird and wonderful things, from displaying MPG to turning off white line crossing signal. This give some idea of the electronic gadgetry built in. LR do have digital displays for a lot of functions I do wonder if Nissan have gone too far in this direction to help sell the vehicles. I can foresee once the displays are set up I can't see any reason to keep altering them apart from the sat nav-radio and telephone.

Maybe because I come from a spanner and screw driver era to fix a car, all this electronic stuff is designed for the next generation of car drivers,still one tries to understand it all.

Yes I actually got behind the steering wheel for the first time today, Ok it was to go down for a pub meal with a couple of beers to wash it down with, so Sue drove from then on. What I do disagree with from professional reports is that I did find to steering very positive and well weight controlled at 10 MPH or 60 MPH but I suspect the turning circle is wider slightly than the freelander, or maybe it is because I am not used to the Nissan yet. Also body roll is no more or less than any other 4x4 I have driven/owned, and that is many, so can't really see what professional car testers are on about

Engine noise inside the cabin is virtually inaudable but road noise is higher than the freelander. This may be down to make/type of tyre I don't know but it is definately louder but not unbearable.
Seating is on balance more comfortable in the Nissan but here again I am comparing to a 4 year old car and even in this department things are always being improved upon, so the newer Freelanders may have improved.

I do have to refer back to the load area which I missed an important point and that is how flat it is (not) in the Nissan. with all the bits that can be adjusted in the Nissan it is not as flat as the freelander and just one other point to make is with the Freelander you can easily take out the load support and give it a good brushing out of the car, you can't do this in the Nissan it is in too may fixed sections, unless I have missed how to take them out just as simply, something I would change in the Nissan design.

OK where next

I do have to keep going back to the electronics in the Nissan, sorry, the Japanese seem to have gone crazy with it and packed in so much but missed so much as well. What I do like is the ability to check tyre pressures via a display on the screen against having to physically go out with a pressure guage to check.

What I think they have missed on is

Wing mirrors, with the Freelander locking the car the wing mirrors auto fold shut, the Nissan you have to fold them from inside before leaving the car if you want to that is. the windows already mentioned- positioning of internal door switches not the best position could be placed higher up on the door so one does not have to look so far down to see which does what. Here the freelander has it about right or at least was for me. the wing mirrors getting hit worries me a little as well as the incorporate a turn signal as well as small cameras which informs of parameter intrusion an live picture around the vehicle. Replacement costs have to be high and those "extras"do add up.

Doors

They do open as wide as one would want ,the back ones to allow access to the 3rd row of seats and have a solid sounding "clunk" when shut, not a tinny sound at all. The back boot 5th door has auto opening via a dashboard/ key fob switch or a handsfree sensor with double power struts to open it and close it.

Ok Jumping a bit from one part of a car to another but doing it as I think of things, so now you can tell how bunny hopping my mind is.

Character has been mentioned which I fully understand but for me I needed a different type of capability which the freelander does not have. If I really went alone for character of any make my first point of call and last would be a 4.2 E Type Jaguar. That is my dream car ever since a friend owned one and I had a drive in it. Just looking down that long bonnet from behind the steering wheel is enough to give one goose pimples all over. But character is not that high on my book apart from that beautiful E -Type

Lighting inside and out next posting Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Last edited by realspeed on 3rd Sep 2014 1:56 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #233615 3rd Sep 2014 12:12 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Glad you like your new car Thumbs Up
As it is a 4x4..........
Fancy an off road challenge? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #233619 3rd Sep 2014 1:13 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Any time but not in my new car. Fancy a challenge with 7 people up?

Think I will wind this up with a quick mention of Lighting

I can remember way back when Sweden made it law all cars had to have daylight running lights, now the EEC have caught up and all new models have to incorporate them, But I have not seen anywhere that says they can't be disconnected by the owner.

Right got that out of the way so what about the Nissan lighting. Internally the usual same as the freelander so nothing to shout about except I do like the way the dash lights up when starting with loads of red around switches. Almost like being Christmas all over again every time the car gets started

what I have noticed on the boards is the number of members looking to upgrade the freelander headlights. So to me it seems this is on area that LR should be looking at (sorry about the pun) but it was/is not the best out there. The Nissan does score heavily on my Tekna version to include "Cats eyes" running lights using LED technology with auto dimming when on main beam for on comming vehicles. Using LED lights save on battery drain and going through the setup less fuel eventually to recharge a depleated battery. What i did like on one of my previous Lexus RX300-SEL was the way the lights turned in conjunction with the steering to "see" around corners. Just one trick Nissan missed as far as I know.

To pick up another point raised about cars looking alike I believe this is down mainly to personal impact regulations as to bonnet height shape etc and to wind tunnel testing and each company arriving at the same conclusion. This is not only with 4X4's but with most ordinary cars as well

Ok summing up

hopefully gives some idea of comparison without causing too much offence, and if I have I am sorry. Being a loyal brand forum it is so much harder to try and attempt a posting like this than for an "ordinary" car tester with no such concerns.
I am in no way a professional writer -car examiner-or anything else connected with the motor industry, of so everything I have posted have been my thoughts alone.
Having owned and driven many 4x4's I do have some experience of the type of vehicle, but hurriedly say not serious off road only in bad road condition and muddy tracks

I do believe this may well be the first time anything like this has been attempted on this site so maybe breaking new ground and hopefully encourage other members who might like to have a go, to inspire them. What I would say is how hard it has been to try and give an honest opinion without favouring either mark. I do appreciate members feelings about loyality but please do consider the number of questions raised on this forum about problems members have, so even with Freelanders not everything every time is perfect they do have faults from time to time.

Having said all that if any member has reasonable questions about the Nissan or comparison then I would be only too happy to try and answer them as best I can

Thank you all for taking the time to read through my ramblings wether liking them or not Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233620 3rd Sep 2014 1:46 am
pab

Is your X-Trail the 4WD version? If so, have you managed to discover anything about the 4x4 architecture and how it works? I've had a look around both Nissan and other sites, and besides mentioning some kind of on/off/auto switch there seems to be no information about the system itself.

Personally I'm not particularly loyal to Land Rover The Brand - why should I be, they have shown little loyalty to their traditional customer base! So I'm quite open to other marques, however, there doesn't seem to be anything other than the FL available on the UK market which comes close to what I'm looking for.

Post #233651 3rd Sep 2014 9:18 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Is your X-Trail the 4WD version? If so, have you managed to discover anything about the 4x4 architecture and how it works? I've had a look around both Nissan and other sites, and besides mentioning some kind of on/off/auto switch there seems to be no information about the system itself.

Yes it is the 4WD Manual version. There is a dial between the front seats

With 3 position
2WD
Auto
4WD

changing between 2WD and Auto any speed but going into 4WD the salesman suggested stopping the car first. I did see on one youtube video it can be done up to 26MPH but I would not try it
The switches either side are for the heated seats with 2 settings warm and sit on it at your own risk hot

It has the stop start together with other switches to the right and below the steering column

Click image to enlarge

It stop/start is middle row on the left
This is the same as the Freelander stop/start version and works the same way. Personally I am not in favour of it and have it switched off. Why? well first of all my guess is other motorist think you have stalled the car making you look a right idiot and second unless being hold up for a long time it is a nuisance Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Last edited by realspeed on 3rd Sep 2014 10:31 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #233658 3rd Sep 2014 10:12 am
pab

Thanks for that. Is 4WD supposed to be a reduced-traction-only setting (i.e. locked centre coupling)? Just wondering why one would need to stop before engaging it. Sounds like it's probably a clutch type system, like a simplified Haldex.

Anything like HDC, traction control, etc?

I guess the lack of information reflects the importance Nissan places on the 4WD aspect of the car.

Post #233660 3rd Sep 2014 10:30 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Pab

Only having had the vehicle for a couple of days and not being technically minded about what/how it works I don't have a clue at the moment. From what I have found out is it is a centre diff lock but do not quote that as gospel. I am sure Nissan tech dept could put you right on those points especially if you said you were thinking about buying one.
Sorry can't be more helpful on that information
In auto mode what it does do is detect a wheel slipping and compensates for it. as to how or what actually happens ,not having had it long, I can't say if everything locks up or just the wheel on the same axle or any other combination.

This car has done less than 30 miles now with 7 miles on the clock at time of purchase. So as you can see it is a learning curve for me as well. Other countries have had petrol versions, not available over here, so a lot of information on youtube is not exactly relevent for UK versions.
Infact information on youtube at least is virtually non existant due to only having been release mid August 2014 Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Last edited by realspeed on 3rd Sep 2014 10:52 am. Edited 7 times in total

Post #233661 3rd Sep 2014 10:35 am
pab

Thumbs Up

Post #233664 3rd Sep 2014 10:42 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Anyway Pab thanks for showing interest in my ramblings, if only you ask questions it was worth the effort. If you need to know more and I can answer then please ask

Athelstan
you said quote "But a "this does it better, lesser, easier, harder" etc than model/manufacturer xyz or abc may not be an appropriate approach."

As it was done as a comparison between the Freelander I had and the Nissan, one can't avoid saying how one finds against one make or another. I have tried not to say This or That is better or worse and tried to give an even balance between what I found good or bad between both without decrying either.

Maybe you would like to do a comparison between cars you have owned as well and try not to do what you are unhappy about Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Last edited by realspeed on 3rd Sep 2014 11:11 am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #233667 3rd Sep 2014 10:55 am
pab

realspeed wrote:
This car has done less than 30 miles now ...

When I picked my FL up I drove it nearly 50 miles home from the garage - and the garage is only 12 miles away! Laughing

Post #233670 3rd Sep 2014 11:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>