« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2013 lamp guards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White
2013 lamp guards

Hi has anyone fitted early style freelander lamp guards to the 2013 (led version) lights ? They seem to be the same shape well thes back ones anyone. However im asssuming that the griil guards will partially cover the instruments on the lights and it will look naff/dangerous (if your indicator or brake lights are only paritally visible) Or can you fit front and rear full set and they look fine? If I cant get them guess I could just get the rear lights lightly smoked to give the car a different look! The thing I like about lamp guards is that they do help to make the car look more rugged and it breaks the light down. Pity why LR dont offer them Rolling Eyes

Post #200416 23rd Sep 2013 5:52 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

They don't fit, and the housing on the 2013 LED Rear Lamps cannot be drilled, as the circuit board is in the way. I had to sell mine, annoyingly. Foraging near Gaydon....
——————————————
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #200469 23rd Sep 2013 9:04 pm
LR NUT

Dammit!!!!! Thanks Badger Thumbs Up

Post #200493 23rd Sep 2013 11:46 pm
LR NUT

Lamp Guards MY14

Will the lamp guards from a 2012 fit a 2014?! I've been told so many different stories! I appreciate the cluster units have changed slightly internally. How bad will the car look with them fitted? Would they obscure some of the lights i.e brakes or indicators?

Thank you MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #203706 19th Oct 2013 12:11 am
Badger1970

The short answer is no. Do a search and the reason(s) why will appear.... Foraging near Gaydon....
——————————————

Post #203710 19th Oct 2013 6:58 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Re: Lamp Guards MY14

Hello,

I will find out for you then let you know.

Many Thanks

Mike

LR NUT wrote:
Will the lamp guards from a 2012 fit a 2014?! I've been told so many different stories! I appreciate the cluster units have changed slightly internally. How bad will the car look with them fitted? Would they obscure some of the lights i.e brakes or indicators?

Thank you
 Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #204002 21st Oct 2013 8:11 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hello,

Here is the response from my technical team:
The part number for the rear lamp kit for the 12 my Freelander 2 and the 14 my Freelander 2 are the same so they will fit both vehicles. The lamp guards will not obscure light as this will cause the vehicle to not be road legal.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks

Mike Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #204165 22nd Oct 2013 8:20 am
LR NUT

Thanks Mike

Will the front set fit? Sorry should have said earlier as wanting a full set. Don't know why I'm being told no.

Cheers MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #204167 22nd Oct 2013 9:21 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

No problem, I will ask now and then come back to you.

Many Thanks

Mike Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #204168 22nd Oct 2013 9:36 am
Badger1970

Sorry Mike, but I must take issue with that response. Given that when an LR Dealer had to phone your Technical support when I tried to have mine fitted from a MY2012 to a MY2013, they were told something totally different, which completely contradicts today's response.

For starters, the mere shape of these guards will cause the middle "bar" to come horizontally right across the indicator and part of the Rear Tail lamp LED. I'm not an MOT Tester, so not in a position to comment on the legalities of obscuring lighting, but just lining one of these guards up flush against the MY2013 Lamp Cluster will demonstrate the issue infinitely better than I can describe on a forum.

Further, and somewhat more importantly, the Service technician was advised that owing to the fact that you have to drill into the right hand side of each lamp cluster some 4mm in two places in order to fit two rivnut's to hold the guard to the lamp cluster, the circuit board of the LED lights would compromise the drilled hole, and ultimately crack, thus rendering the LED Tail light inoperative on both sides.

Whilst in no way a direct criticism of your efforts, I would urge you to send a copy of this riposte to someone senior in your Technical department for comment. Assuming that this department logs all calls in, this was bought to their attention on Monday 19th August by Lancaster Land Rover, Burnham. I was sat in front of the Technician as he made the call, and saw his notes directly after the call ended, thus unable to proceed with the install.

If your guys stand by their latest response today, will LR replace at their expense both LED Lamp clusters at vast cost when the OP follows their advice, and the inevitable fracture of the circuit board occurs? (Which it almost certainly will!) Foraging near Gaydon....
——————————————

Post #204180 22nd Oct 2013 11:59 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hello LR NUT,

12MY front lamp guards will obscure the lights on 14MY hope this helps.

Many Thanks

Mike

LR NUT wrote:
Thanks Mike

Will the front set fit? Sorry should have said earlier as wanting a full set. Don't know why I'm being told no.

Cheers
 Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #204411 24th Oct 2013 9:18 am
ronp

Scotland 

Very strange feedback indeed Confused
If anything, I'd've thought (after reading this thread) that the front would fit ok and be legal, whilst it would be the rear ones that are the issue - apparently not - ?????
Or am I reading this wrong Confused FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #232494 23rd Aug 2014 10:08 am
taztastic

England 

Hi Ron
The lamp guards on your car will be fine as they are designed to curve around the various elements. On later cars with LED lights the pattern of the lights is different and so the central bar on the guard obscures the light beam to a degree as the shape is not correct. Obviously LR will have data on the numbers sold and possibly made the decision that these were not viable to produce?
An after market supplier may come along with something in due course.

Post #232500 23rd Aug 2014 11:56 am
LR NUT

Appreciate this has been discussed in detail before but I have never seen them fitted apart from an LR expedition vehicle I seen online. ( A distant angled picture).

Having seen them now the fronts obsecure the signature lights and the rears looks odd with the profile being incorrect and partially obsecuring the indicator.

This post has been edited by the site administration team - threads merged

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #270160 20th Jul 2015 6:04 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I would think they make it more difficult to wash the lens too, fiddly like?? as they dont hinge away they are fixed permanently arent they?
Right they look rubbish on the later cars, agreed.

Post #270163 20th Jul 2015 6:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>