« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Price advice required!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Price advice required!

I viewed this Freelander and it is in nice condition (minor scratches but nothing major) and has a good service history. It's in need of discs and pads which they are happy to fit if their mechanic agrees. What do you think is a fair price? £15800 seems a little strong for a local dealer-privately HSE's seem to be going for about £11-12500 with slightly higher mileage and Land Rover dealers range from £14000-16800.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...?logcode=p

Post #232353 21st Aug 2014 9:58 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Price does seem on the high side - especially for a manual. I'd carefully check the clutch seeing as it has a tow bar fitted. Do you particularly want a manual box? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #232355 21st Aug 2014 10:09 pm
taztastic

England 

Needs discs and pads after 40k too. My last one went back with 80k on it and still had loads of life in the brakes.
You could probably get a facelift model for that sort of money if you shop around and slightly higher miles, mileage these days doesn't mean the same it used to years ago.
As Steve states, sounds expensive.

Post #232356 21st Aug 2014 10:15 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I had a HSE auto and didn't really get on with it. We live in a rural location with lots of small villages (thirty zones) and hills. I found the auto box to be constantly searching for the right gear at times. My previous FL2 was a manual which in all honesty was a nicer drive. I am definitely in the minority as most people prefer auto's! I am going to get the car inspected-tow bars and manual gearboxes can mean trouble. Many thanks for the feedback on price.

Post #232358 21st Aug 2014 10:20 pm
thechopper79

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Indus Silver

Hiya i just paid £12999 from a dealer for a 2008 HSE manual with 49k miles inc FSH, zenon lights and 12 months warranty (for what its worth. Mine also needed discs and pads which cost me £465 for fully fitted by Green Oval in Leeds using genuine land rover parts.

happy negotiating Thumbs Up Current 2008 Freel2 HSE
Prev 2010 Freel2 GS & 57 Disco3 HSE

Post #232359 21st Aug 2014 10:27 pm
ad210358

England 

I really don't see what Towbars and Manuals have to do with it, I towed with a Manual, sold at 40k no problems, Mav towed with his manual no problems, Pegleg hasn't towed with his and has had the Clutch and DMF replaced twice, could name more by searching on here.

Post #232360 21st Aug 2014 10:28 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

what ad566666 says but view through a mirror and you see the real truth At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #232363 21st Aug 2014 10:40 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

ad210358 wrote:
I really don't see what Towbars and Manuals have to do with it, I towed with a Manual, sold at 40k no problems, Mav towed with his manual no problems, Pegleg hasn't towed with his and has had the Clutch and DMF replaced twice, could name more by searching on here.

You probably had the best 40K miles out of it then. The OP is thinking of buying at 40K. Considering the relatively small number of manuals compared to auto's, I can remember reading of many clutch issues.

Amazing thing, the search button. Guess who said these quotes in the past? Laughing

"Wouldn't be concerned so much about the gearbox if it has been towing as it is an Auto"

"Clutches are weak on many vehicles now",

"Clutches today cannot take the torque that today's engines produce, it is not always the clutch at fault, the DMF which is fitted is also a weak point, this is just not on LR's"

"I wanted an Auto, the swmbo put her foot down and threatened the halting of certain things if we had one, I did have my eye on a Disco 3 when the TD5 went but the manuals are a nono with them so a Freel2 it was and then that cost me another £1k to save excessive clutch wear." Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #232375 22nd Aug 2014 6:35 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

AD's right - what evidence there is (i.e. the number of low-mileage, never-towed cars with clutch problems, and the number of high-mileage tow cars with no problems) suggest there's no link between clutch problems and towing, off-roading, or anything else. Indeed this, plus examinations of clutches which have been removed from cars referred to elsewhere on here, suggest the problem is not with the clutches themselves at all (which is why I'm specifically not using the term clutch failure). Sticking adjuster mechanisms have been suggested as a possible cause - sounds plausible, but we don't yet have the evidence to confirm it. So I would disregard towing as a reason for not buying a manual - it will make no difference to the likelihood of clutch problems.

Also, the low number of manuals relates only to your geographical area (or perhaps urban areas as a whole). In rural areas where people buy FLs as 4x4s you will find there are a lot of FL2s around and they're almost all manuals. (I think we've already had this discussion Wink ) so actually there are lots of manuals around.

Post #232398 22nd Aug 2014 9:28 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Pab is correct Thumbs Up

In Scotland manuals are very popular! If manual sales were that low JLR would not offer the evoque SD4 as a manual variant would they Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #232407 22nd Aug 2014 11:02 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Whoops - I can see I've got the backs up of the Northern manual brigade. Must just be us soft Southerners that will pay the extra premium that auto's command then. Laughing

The fact is, that regardless of make/model, manual cars that have been used for towing COULD have a lot more wear and tear on the clutch at any given mileage compared to one with similar mileage that hasn't been used for towing. Regardless of manual or auto models that have or havent been used for towing, I cant recall reading about any transmission weaknesses on auto models. You cant deny that there have been numerous posts on this forum about the common clutch slip problem on the manual versions. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #232410 22nd Aug 2014 11:20 am
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had a 2009 GS manual and recently px'd it when I'd done 78,000 miles, of which about 7/8000 miles were towing a 1500kg.

The only problems I had towing were a poorly fitted 13pin scoket on the car (a loose connection) and the handbrake being poor for hill starts with the caravan on. But to be fair, the handbrake was poor generally anyway!

I'd be more concerned that the elcetrics for the towbar had been fitted using the correct dedicated harness.

Post #232413 22nd Aug 2014 11:43 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
You cant deny that there have been numerous posts on this forum about the common clutch slip problem on the manual versions.

I certainly can't - in fact in many other posts I've bemoaned that very fact. There is a problem with FL2 clutches, indeed my own suffers from intermittent slippage, but the car has never towed anything in its life. All I'm denying is a link to towing.

But I would also point out that the auto 'premium' you refer to (a combination of purchase price and fuel costs) would fund several clutch replacements thoughout the life of the car whilst still working out cheaper than the auto! That's not really the point though - some of us actually prefer a manual box!

Post #232414 22nd Aug 2014 11:46 am
ad210358

England 

Pab has it exactly, we all know the Clutch is weak, but I don't see any evidence to say that Towing contributes to the downfall.

Post #232430 22nd Aug 2014 5:24 pm
go cytocis

2013 LR2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

If you think the LR clutch is weak, you'd be well advised to stay away from Harley Davidson; apparently a flag will burn it out!
http://jalopnik.com/harley-denied-this-guy...1584531157

Post #232462 23rd Aug 2014 1:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>