« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Privately bought FL2's and Land Rover Warranty's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Privately bought FL2's and Land Rover Warranty's

Does anyone know if you can buy a Land Rover warranty for a privately bought FL2 and the procedure involved if you can?

Post #232238 20th Aug 2014 10:20 pm
Ayrshirelandy

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
Warranty

I don't believe so as I could renew my warranty having bought an approved used, but not Land Rover Assistance. Having looked at the warranty terms I found an aftermarket warranty to be better. Hope this helps. FL2 MY 2010 in Stornoway grey, privacy glass, chrome trim and extras

Post #232239 20th Aug 2014 10:28 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You can. The vehicle has to be inspected by a LR dealership prior to acceptance. This is at no cost if you buy the warranty through the dealership. MY present car was bought privately and the warranty was bought through Duckworth Market Rasen. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Last edited by dunkley201 on 20th Aug 2014 10:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #232241 20th Aug 2014 10:38 pm
Labradorslave

Many thanks for that-I had my doubts too. I am after a manual FL2 HSE without dpf (pre 09) which is a little old for the dealer network now. I have decided to consider private sales to see if I can find what I want. If anyone on here is thinking of selling a manual HSE in the near future I may be interested!

Post #232242 20th Aug 2014 10:40 pm
Labradorslave

Cheers Dunkley-you posted your reply whilst I was responding to the first post! I will give my dealer a ring in the morning.

Post #232243 20th Aug 2014 10:42 pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Izmir Blue

We've just this afternoon bought an i6 HSE and have spoken to Taggarts Land Rover in Glasgow about putting a warranty on it. In the end we bought one from Guy Salmon in Stockport as they matched the price of the private sale so don't need to any more.

Anyway, the LR warranty for an FL2 is £795 a year or £79.50 x 10 instalments. If you're buying privately the car needs to go into the dealer for the inspection before they'll cover it. If they find any faults with the car during the inspection you have to rectify them at your own expense before they will let the warranty commence.

David. 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE in Oxford Blue with Ash Grey Leather
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE in Rioja Red with Lightstone Leather
2006 Range Rover Supercharged in Zermatt Silver with Jet Leather
2007 Freelander i6 HSE in Izmir Blue with Ebony Leather
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #232244 21st Aug 2014 12:03 am
Labradorslave

Many thanks for the information David-not as expensive as I thought. My first choice would be a dealer but if I can't at least I definitely know the private/independent is an option.

Post #232344 21st Aug 2014 8:46 pm
leesbay

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just bought a Warranty Wise fully comp policy via the non franchise dealer I bought the i6 from and paid £660 for 2 years cover, with £7500 claim limit and £120 per hour labour rates

When I ran the quote myself with W Wise it was over a grand, trade get better discount and higher level cover

I have used warranty wise and warranty direct previously on my D3 and Bmws and can recommend both highly
Top levels of cover are as good as LR in my opinion. - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, there will be some bargains out there!

Post #232371 22nd Aug 2014 12:13 am
Mando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Just by way of a postscript, I've just spoken to an LR service manager who tells me that his warranty claims to ALL aftermarket breakdown providers (WW et al) are "hardly ever settled" and cause him tons of grief. I thought he might at least be kind about one of them but he wasn't forthcoming. His advice was to try and get an LR warranty (after an LR inspection). I appreciate that he may be biased but his main point was that LR rarely quibble about grey areas and try to keep your custom.

BTW the labour rate he quoted was £99ph (possibly plus VAT).

Post #271399 1st Aug 2015 5:38 pm
Labradorslave

I would second that Mando. Land Rover insist you pay up front and then claim it back from the warranty company. My warranty will only pay £40+vat labour rate too. I would always go for the Land Rover warranty personally but, if like me, you end up with a third party warranty find a good independent.

Post #271400 1st Aug 2015 5:50 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Yes I would say biased, I have had a warranty payout for transfer box, no quibbles. My indie charges £45/hr and in his opinion the AA warranty is the one he would choose. Mine is not AA nor LR by the way but came as part of the deal with the car.

Post #271401 1st Aug 2015 5:54 pm
Mando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Thanks for the comments. I suspect the "grey areas" are where aftermarket customers get a shock. For example: a clutch and flywheel problem - wear and tear on the clutch (to be expected) but the whole claim is disputed. Would LR cough up?

I have been given the pushy hard sell all week from WW... I would really like to believe that they have such a great reputation that they don't need to employ such selling tactics or have to offer two months free if I sign before 8pm. It just has a whiff of "too good to be true". The acid test will be whether they agree to send me their policy terms and conditions before I cough up. I'm not taking bets but I predict the response will be: "No worries - just pay up - there is a cooling-off period".

Perhaps a proper poll of FL2 owners would reveal the worst and best examples of aftermarket cover. Does the good feedback come from owners with simple breakdowns rather than a fault including anything that moves or is subject to wear, water, cold, heat or fatigue?

I tend to start from the premise that just about any insurance cover is for the unexpected - not the routine.

Post #271404 1st Aug 2015 6:14 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

What about that one that top bloke er Quentin Wilson is always on about on tv, not a lot of warranty firms want you to know that type of thing, just a load of old shoe makers??

Post #271413 1st Aug 2015 7:02 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Quentin Wilson is a Censored , and his warranty company is no better Laughing

Had one successful claim in 5 on my customers cars, despite some "careful" wording of the claims. They always have specific exclusions, which prevent them paying out on just about anything...

Compare that with Warranty Direct, who authorise claims on the spot, in most cases

Thumbs Up

Post #271414 1st Aug 2015 7:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23655.html

Post #271415 1st Aug 2015 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>