Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Freelander 2 xenon retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

It was a deal-breaker Taz....I didn't want the car without them, so they offered to put them in as part of the final figure. My last 3 cars have had them, so could never go back to halogen now. That said, the high beam is still a Halogen lamp, which works a treat in conjunction with the HID in terms of lighting up dark lanes. Very Happy Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #173019 25th Feb 2013 9:30 am
taztastic

England 

I find my high beam is excellent from the HID point of view, however, the halogen bit seems to light up the tress ahead about 20ft up in the air, way too high?
I also noticed in fog recently that the offside HID was pointing markedly to the near side, forgot to tell the garage at service a couple of weeks back, it's going in for a seat base replacement in a couple of weeks I will get them to take a quick look to check then.
I believe the self levelling is built into the lamps, are you sure it is not there, or does the manual control still work?
I'd be interested to know how they have done the change, retrofitted the whole light unit or just the lamp and ballast?

Post #173025 25th Feb 2013 10:11 am
EYorkshire

A quick wander off the topic Thumbs Up

Seat base replacement Exclamation
Is it getting shabby and base out of shape, mine is and if so it would be good to know that it could be changed under warranty.

Post #173026 25th Feb 2013 10:18 am
taztastic

England 

Hi EY,
No not shabby, I am fed up with constantly changing the height so told them about it and they have looked at it and said there is a problem so it is being replaced in a couple of weeks, I beleive they will change the base mechanics and keep the base seat covering, I will let you know.

Post #173035 25th Feb 2013 11:10 am
yorkshiregrit

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

taztastic wrote:
They are correct then, the HID retrofit will not fail the MOT.
However, if you were involved in an accident and let's say the other party claims you lights dazzled them, then technically the car is not correct under the construction and use regulations, even though the lights carry the relevant "e" marks etc, the insurance could invalidate the insurance, although as you didn't fit them the area becomes very grey indeed.

I applaud you for having them fitted though as the standard halogens are diabolical. It is high time the law was looked at to allow retrofitting to projector style lights.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

There is nothing that I can see in the Construction and Use legislation that relates to the lighting system of the vehicle?

The only section that could apply would be Regulation 100 "Maintenance and use of vehicle so as not to be a danger, etc" which states:

Quote:
(1) A motor vehicle, every trailer drawn thereby and all parts and accessories of such vehicle and trailer shall at all times be in such condition, and the number of passengers carried by such vehicle or trailer, the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on such vehicle or trailer, and the weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of such vehicle or trailer shall at all times be such, that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

Given that people are mostly using genuine Land Rover parts which have been Type Approved on the Freelander model, and are not using High Intensity lighting in headlight units that cannot focus the discharge (such as the modified Corsa brigade!) I cannot see that there will be any issues with this modification!

Interesting to hear the view of an MOT tester on the auto levelling situation, this had always put me off looking for a set of Xenon headlights but given your reading of the MOT guidence notes it looks like this should not be an issue?

Now where is my eBay login...... Wink

Post #173250 26th Feb 2013 11:40 am
Mikear61

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Xenon Headlights for sale?.

Does anyone have or know where I can go on here to get a set of RHD Xenon head light units so I can retro fit my FL2?

Post #230097 28th Jul 2014 9:29 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freelander-2-xen...3386f122aa

Use the contact the seller button and ask him for a complete set. I brought mine from him and got a new set for a good price.
Very knowledgeable guy and pleasant to deal with.

Post #230188 29th Jul 2014 10:36 pm
Mikear61

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Nice one charliecloud, much appreciated I'll give him a buzz.

Post #230190 29th Jul 2014 10:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345