Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Another tyre question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
submarine

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Another tyre question...

Hi guys, new member, long time stalker Smile a few questions for you.

58 Freelander2 2.2td4 XS (with a bluefin map) currently running 235/65/17 Conti CrossContact, as standard when I bought it last Sept.

Tyres due for a change now, so the question is, if I fit the 245/70/17 General Grabber AT, as I see has been done previously, in the interest of clearance, and frankly - awesomeness, am I going to regret not opting for the Avon Ranger Ice 235/65 R17 come winter? Bearing in mind that we don't usually have that much powder snow over winter, and I think offroading is unlikely in winter anyway, what we really need is something that gives grip on mostly compacted snow, and ice, if we get any.

Additionally, has anyone who's changed from the road orientated ones i have now to the AT any views on how annoying they are when used on road extensively? Because mileage wise, 99% of my time will be on the road.

If I had the money, I would put the AT's on my rims now, and have the Avons on a second set of wheels for winter, but I think my budget will only stretch to about 600 tops.
On a completely unrelated topic, does anyone happen to be thinking about donating any of the above?!

Post #229934 27th Jul 2014 1:36 am
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Sub,

I had worn out Nankangs on my 19" rims, I was hoping to get till the end of September out of them but I gave in and after much deliberation fitted 235/55/19 General Grabber ATs, I went for these because most of my driving is road based, BUT when I am with the dog or walking I tend to park up in pretty muddy fields or dirt tracks or lanes also like you say we dont get tones of snow but the two weeks or so when we do I am hoping the GG's will good enough to get me to my house / drive and in an out of were I live, they are marked up as M+S so I am hoping they will be a good all rounder and they wear well from what I have seen and read.

Down side well my mpg has dropped 2mpg tbh I am not bothered and at 70 there is a bit more road noise again not bothered as I dont tend to be on motorways for long.

I have no regrets getting them plus they look good and suit the car. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #229946 27th Jul 2014 10:36 am
colinsb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

You might like to consider the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. I fitted a set of 235/65R17 last autumn and can't criticize them. They're quiet, good on fuel, and work well in every situation they've been in. Admittedly they haven't seen snow yet, but I bought them on the recommendation of a friend who'd used them on his Mitsubishi Outlander on a skiing holiday. They look good as well, if that matters to you. I had four fitted at home by Event Tyres for £498.

Post #229953 27th Jul 2014 12:33 pm
submarine

Thanks for the replies, and the suggestions. I'm pleased to hear that either of the AT's cope well enough in the wintery conditions we have. On my previous vehicle I did used to swap to winters, but as that was only a FWD I felt it necessary. And it managed all the trips I needed on road. So I will go for some of the AT's, either the GG or the yoko's (I used the yoko winter tyres on my previous, and they were brilliant)

I use the car in a similar manner to you, dogs and walking, not much motorways, and I can't help but think that the slightly more aggresive tread will be beneficial when I find myself in the soggyness of wales!

Post #230023 27th Jul 2014 9:15 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Just fitted a set of Grabber GTs obviously not had chance to try them in snow but seem very good so far and they are marked M+S, part of the tread resembles the GG AT and at £105 each all in seems like a good deal and are V XL rated. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #230025 27th Jul 2014 9:27 pm
submarine

That does sound like a reasonable price. I'm trying to keep the price down as I have a rear diff hum, and a hand brake sqeual to sort, the former causing it's fair share of worry, and the latter being an easy fix (hopefully), so thanks for the heads up.

Post #230028 27th Jul 2014 9:51 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Poor milage out of bigger tyres is mostly the car computer being tricked. Tyres @ 245/70/17 will make your odometer and speedo read 7-8% low. Therefore your fuel consumption will appear to rise/fall** by 7-8%. Watch out for speed cameras.

**mpg will drop, l/100kms will rise.

Post #230047 28th Jul 2014 10:04 am
submarine

That's a good point actually, I was aware of the speedo change - but forgot that it would have a negative effect on the trip computer!

Post #230081 28th Jul 2014 6:50 pm
s14tra

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

just had a set of these fitted YOKOHAMA G012 A/T 108H the car sounds a quite as a mouse compared to the rodians that were fitted previously. Thumbs Up

Post #230717 4th Aug 2014 8:04 pm
submarine

Also, this has only just occured to me - the 235 is fitted to 7.5" rim, does fitting the 245/70 need a wider rim? maybe an 8.5" as obviously I don't want to have to buy new ones???

Tire Rim Bolt pattern THD CB
235/65 R17 7.5x17 ET55 5x108 M14 x 1.5 63.3

as per http://www.wheel-size.com/size/land-rover/freelander-2/2009/

Thanks again...

Post #230765 5th Aug 2014 9:21 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

No, same rims. I have 245/65/17's with no trouble on standard rims and others have 245/70/17.

Post #230774 5th Aug 2014 10:12 am
submarine

Thanks for the swift reply and that's good news! I'm going home today, so will get on this hopefully by the end of the week. Looking forward to it Smile

Post #230776 5th Aug 2014 10:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1