Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Which Freelander should I buy.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bgrantham

Australia 
Which Freelander should I buy.

G'Day Folks,

Returning to the UK after a spell in Australia, looking for a Freelander 2 for the better half. Now we have about 21k for her car and am after some insight on UK models and specs.

The Nav system in the early models seems to leave much to be desired, but the HSE only comes with nav? So 2011 low miles HSE or newer, lower spec 2013 facelift model??

Thoughts much appreciated,

Ben

Post #228448 6th Jul 2014 1:30 am
ad210358

England 

21k your looking really at a HSE or XS on a 11 plate or a GS on a 13 plate.

Post #228460 6th Jul 2014 8:39 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

I bought my 2013 XS with 9000miles on it for £21500 so they are out there. Smile

Post #228465 6th Jul 2014 9:40 am
bgrantham

Australia 

Thanks for the replies, was there much haggling required to get an XS for that price? Seems like the best of both worlds. =============================
Current: FL2 TD4 Auto

Post #228472 6th Jul 2014 11:55 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

no haggling but he would not drop any lower! Sad

Post #228499 6th Jul 2014 9:28 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

bgrantham wrote:
Thanks for the replies, was there much haggling required to get an XS for that price? Seems like the best of both worlds.

I always wait till 2 or 3 days before month end and they want the last sale of the month
Discounts DO APPLY..!!! Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #228512 7th Jul 2014 6:36 am
rjpears1982

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White
Re: Which Freelander should I buy.

Post removed as it contravenes For Sale/Wanted Rules

Post #314718 7th Jan 2017 10:05 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

When you go shopping will influence the price. From April through September, 4x4 vehicles are not the car of choice in the UK used car market . If you are buying privately obviously it is up to you and the seller, but I'd want it significantly cheaper than a forecourt car from a main dealer , as you are assuming the risk.
For the cash you are looking to spend if you choose the dealer route, I'd be using a LR main dealer, The LR website as you probably know lets you search every official used car in the UK, so you can use the lowest prices ,like for like . as one lever on negotiations with other garages, and as suggested above by Mudslinger, I also believe discounts are always available. I've never been to look at a car that according to the sakesman wasn't " sought after" " in short supply " " won't be here next week " , equally I've never paid what was on the windscreen. You are a cash buyer, no trade in , and can make a deal on the spot if you want , so I'd be quite aggressive , just ask yourself " how many people a day walk in wanting to pop 20 grand on the spot for a used car Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #314720 7th Jan 2017 10:28 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Trouble is, dealers aren't interested in cash sales nowadays - they want to sell them on finance as they get a commission on that. So, to get a good price from a dealer, buy it on finance and pay it all off the very next day. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #314724 7th Jan 2017 10:44 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

mudslinger wrote:
bgrantham wrote:
Thanks for the replies, was there much haggling required to get an XS for that price? Seems like the best of both worlds.

I always wait till 2 or 3 days before month end and they want the last sale of the month
Discounts DO APPLY..!!! Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

The dealer I bought the current car wouldn't budge on my ex LR fleet, 7k miles HSE Lux. I even walked away, expecting a call later but it didn't happen.

Eventually I bought the car but my trade in FL2 XS was stripped of everything I'd added plus the factory fit spare wheel which I replaced with a basic gunk kit from ebay. Led rear lights, DRL/sig headlamps, mud flaps, rubber mats, carpet mats and boot mat, towbar & dedicated electrics, HSE cubby box etc. I had to leave the body mouldings on though Sad All sold on except the mud flaps and towbar which went onto the new car.

Post #314728 7th Jan 2017 11:03 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Steve D wrote:
Trouble is, dealers aren't interested in cash sales nowadays - they want to sell them on finance as they get a commission on that. So, to get a good price from a dealer, buy it on finance and pay it all off the very next day. Thumbs Up

Up to a point I agree with that. Last year was a record year for car sales. I walked out of several dealers who were very focused on shifting PCP deals by offering " finance contributions" on new cars. One Audi dealer actualy told me to sign a PCP and cancel to get "£3000 off a new vehicle " . Indeed I would have done that had I pursued the Q5.

Having said that I think buying a new car outright is somewhat easier than used as at least you can use Internet car broker prices as a benchmark, and if the local dealer doesn't want to play you can use the broker ( being aware that some of the advertised prices assume you will use the finance contribution trick ).

Again new cars there can sometimes be an incentive to move a car at minimal profit for example to meet dealer volume targets, the same reason that cars are pre registered, so at the right time selling you the car isn't going to be an issue. The last car I bought dealer one said " can't be done " dealer two said " well you will buy it from the broker won't you? , I'll talk to the boss and see what we can do " He wasn't concerned at all with finance as he said the significant majority of his buyers for that brand of car were self funded, obviously it wasn't a volume dealership.

With used cars I assume that there are always two prices , the price they would like and the price they will sell at if the stock needed to be moved, but in the end the only thing that truely matters is that the buyer is happy with the deal he has made.

I hate buying cars I always feel like I need a shower when I've been in a typical dealership Rolling with laughter

Ps Rural Subaru dealers are great if you are lucky enough to live within 50 miles of one ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #314739 8th Jan 2017 9:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1