Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Can i expect any other expensive repairs????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
brianoneill

South Africa 2010 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Can i expect any other expensive repairs????

hi there fellow FL2 owners. please can you give me some advice.

i have a 2010 FL2 with the petrol i6 engine, automatic. i have just hit 129000 kilometers. i have been thinking about weather or not i should sell the car due to the expensive maintenance costs i could encounter due to the fact that its out of motorplan. i really love the car and i look after with regular services, not driving it hard when cold etc...

so far, touch wood, i havent had too many problems. i did have the unfortunate situation where my diff bearings had to be replaced which cost me quite a bit but the problem seems to be sorted. (changed the pinion bearings and placed new fluid)

my question is what else could i expect to go wrong with this amount of mileage? i know its not a huge amount but it seems like these cars start giving serious issues once it hits about 100 000 kilometers. my biggest concern is the gear box! anyone know if they tend to pack up and if so at how many kilometers roughly? i know there have been reports of power steering pumps going and a few other electrical faults etc. i have been hearing a noise when i turn on the aircon, probably a bearing going.

should i get rid of it now or wait and see if i am lucky? i do about 2000 kilometers a month and have never taken it off road. i purchased the vehicle in the beginning of 2013 and it was on 100 000 kilometers with full service history with landrover.

thank you
regards
Brian (worried FL2 owner)

Post #222755 22nd Apr 2014 1:50 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Can't comment on any future problems but would say if it's going ok keep it then sell it if it starts giving you problems.
Sorry I can't be more helpfull. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #222758 22nd Apr 2014 2:09 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My family have had two FL2s both diesel. the 2008 one did 99000 miles with no problems at all before we sold it recently, the other was a 2010 model which was a nightmare. New throttle body, clutch, front drive shaft and finally a gearbox problem. It was sold at 55000 miles. We have bought two more FL2s with 2 year warranties this time.

My brother in law has a 2009 model with over 80,000 miles no problems.

Post #222845 23rd Apr 2014 9:36 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You also need to factor in the cost of the new car - depreciation, finance costs, loss of interest if paying cash, etc. It would take some pretty serious repairs to cost more than that lot!

Post #222850 23rd Apr 2014 9:54 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

On the question of finance you might be interested, I bought a used FL2 from Yeovil LR recently and normally I pay cash rather than take out finance, however in this case they suggested I use a new scheme where you can buy at 2.5% interest as long as you pay it off in two years. As this is almost the inflation rate I decided to go for it. I have stock market investments and you have to do very badly to get less than that rate of return on your money.

Post #222852 23rd Apr 2014 10:13 am
brianoneill

South Africa 2010 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

thanks guys, appreciate the advice!

Post #222861 23rd Apr 2014 1:04 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Can i expect any other expensive repairs????

Brian,
If it's now running OK, I'd keep it. At least you know what repairs you have already had done.
I own a 58 TD4s. Now covered 75k. Owned it for two years, main problem I've had was a new drivers side wheel bearing/hub replacement. Some other bits & pieces. Nothing major mechanically. Landy has now gone.

Post #222915 23rd Apr 2014 11:49 pm
freemander

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I'm in the same boat, mine has done 143,000 and us running perfectly, just had shocks & thermo fan replaced, major service completed and a minor oil leak repaired. Dif sounds fine, transmission works well and everything working as it should, only problem is when you look at the Klms creep up, start to wonder do you keep and hope nothing hoes wrong, or sell and by another car why the goings good.

Decisions, decisions!!??!!

Post #222918 24th Apr 2014 4:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1