Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Sat Nav - Garmin 2797 LMT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sailorman

Sat Nav - Garmin 2797 LMT

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the Freel2 community, especially to the guys who were kind enough to give their details and experiences of fitting the Garmin 2797 LMT. After reading your information I have today fitted one myself and I must say how impressed I am as to how well it fits. It definitely looks at though it’s actually meant to be in there. The whole exercise has only cost me £208.00, which is excellent value for money. All I need to do now is learn how to operate it!!!

Post #221801 10th Apr 2014 1:57 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Sailorman, Very glad you're pleased with the Garmin 2797; you can download a very comprehensive user manual from the Garmin website which is much better than the 'quick start' sheet provided in the box.

Post #221837 11th Apr 2014 12:24 am
Sailorman

Hello Egipp,

Many thanks for that,
I’ve managed to pull down a copy of the Operating Instructions.
When all else fails, read the manual; What!

All the Best
Very Happy

Post #221941 12th Apr 2014 11:31 am
gayrover

Sweden 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

Hi,
I'm also very interested in fitting one of these. I saw some pictures on how to dismantle the front speaker etc, but can't seem to find a good guide on how to connect the sat nav.

Which cables are needed and how do I connect it to the car?

Also, is there a way to update it without having to take it out?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Post #222332 16th Apr 2014 10:07 pm
egipp

An ignition switched fuse is available in the fuse box behind the glove box - search '12 volt power in dash area', it will give much information.
I posted the below in relation to my install of a Garmin 1490 but it applies equally to the 2797 with the exception that you will be removing the OE box in the dashboard, so no need to cut holes. The major difference is that the 2797 has, in addition to the power lead, a separate USB data lead which I believe can be left connected with the USB plug in the glove box so that you can update maps etc from a lap top without removing the unit
'I have wired in a Garmin 1490T, which is an almost exact fit in the dashboard OE GPS location. I took the power from F5, an unused circuit which is switched on/off by the ignition. Mine actually had a 10 amp blade fuse in place; I replaced this with a 10 amp blade fuse from Jaycar which has a fly lead from it so you can connect the GPS power supply to it. I connected this to a accessory cigar lighter socket, cable tied to the bulkhead crossmember, so that the Garmin power supply plugged directly in - this is important, since you must not feed 12 volts direct to the Garmin. Other GPS makes may be different. I also put a switch in the circuit so that I don't have to have the GPS on when the ignition is on. There is a very good location inside the glovebox just behind and above the latch for this switch; it appears to be a mounting for an additional light to the glove box which is not used - at least on a 2009 SE here in Australia. Feeding the cable into the OE 'box' in the dashboard involves cutting a small hole in the base; this will be covered by the rubber mat when you remove the GPS. I should add that all the wiring is quite straightforward, there's even an easily accessible earth point on the centre console, and can be removed with no markings on the vehicle apart from the hole in the centre box which can, as I said, be covered by the original rubber mat. I should add that you need to remove the glovebox to do all this, about a 5 minute job. I also removed part of the centre console to gain access to the original GPS box for cutting the hole.
My purpose in all of this was to make it less obvious to a sneak thief that the GPS was an add on, and not to have any visible fitting points or holes when finally removing it from the vehicle. It is, too all intents and purposes, permanently in the car but can be removed for map and software updates.
Sorry about being longwinded, but hope it helps'.[/quote]
Hope it all goes well with the fixing.

Post #222410 17th Apr 2014 9:25 pm
gayrover

Sweden 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

Many thanks for this very detailed answer!

It seems a little complicated but I'll probably give it a try.

Do you by any chance have the Jaycar article number so I know which one to get?

Post #222412 17th Apr 2014 10:40 pm
egipp

Sorry, I don't have the Jaycar part number, but you shouldn't have any problems in the store - 10 amp mini blade fuse with fly lead will get you what you need. It also sounds more complicated than it actually is, takes about two hours all up and is straightforward. As I say, search this forum for Garmin install, there's a lot of information to help you. Theres also pictures in my gallery that show the finished installation.
Cheers.

Post #222416 18th Apr 2014 12:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1