Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > My little driving adventure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

field burning brings back some memories , crazy dangerous but fun, now banned in the UK, we are too populated At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #129734 29th Jan 2012 9:27 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Great post! Thanks for the pics. Very Happy John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #129748 29th Jan 2012 11:58 am
Vesko

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry about the delay - first week back to work, very busy Crying or Very sad

mikehzz, Capertee looks to be another nice village there, I will definitely check it out (I wander why the region is not as popular as the Southern Highlands, I like it so much). Brindabella will be also in my books, but let me take it one step at a time. Smile . Thank you mate!

npinks, you are right, people move quickly out, when the prospects disappear. I admire them for being able not to get attached to the place and at the same time keep their internal equilibrium.

chicken george, I think field burning is not allowed here as well, but maybe someone is turning a blind eye. Wink

JST, thank you for the encouragement.

Thank you guys!

Post #130256 2nd Feb 2012 9:10 am
Vesko

My little driving adventure – day 3

My little driving adventure – day 3

Something wakes me up at 4. Gentle rain is tapping on my tent. I feel rested and for a second consider getting up and starting the day early, but somehow I turn to the other side and fall asleep. Big mistake – when I wake up again, the rain is hammering the tent. It is 7.30, it’s pouring outside and I consider my limited options. Can’t wait for the rain to stop, there is a long drive to Anna Bay and I really want to get on the sand before nightfall with time to spare for a bit of fun.

So, I take a deep breath and run out in the rain to pack up the tent, embarrassed that Steve from New Castle or the retired couple in the “alpine chalet” might be watching my straggle from the safety of their dry trailers. I’m done surprisingly quickly, and then with a large mug of strong coffee under the nearby pergola, I watch the rain with much brighter eyes. Can’t wait to get on the comfortable leather seat of my beloved Landie…

As I enjoy the rain with coffee, I suddenly realise that after Yerranderie I forgot to turn my mobile phone on (no cover in the bush and life without it is so much easier). There are 18 missed calls and many messages from home with increasing urgency. I call wife back and manage to diffuse the panic somewhat. Then all is good.

Garmin wants me to drive the long way, back through Sofala and the gravel road, but exiting Hill End, I see a sign saying Mudgee with a road leading in different direction. It is much more interesting, and as I will discover later, it is sealed all the way (perhaps Gamin is not updated). I must say this happens to be the most beautiful stretch of road on my little driving adventure, despite the constant rain, or maybe because of it. The country is green, wide endless hills, luscious forests, lovely farmhouses here and there, cows and horses on properties you see someone is taking good care of. There is no traffic and I can drive slowly to enjoy it all.

The rain doesn’t stop when I enter Mudgee; neither does it stop when I roll onto The Golden Highway. In fact the rain will never stop today – the road is flooded, but my wonderful Freelander 2 is the most stable and comfortable vehicle on the road. It swims 103kh in the highway water with confidence and the realisation that all this water will wash the mud, accumulated in the bush, makes me very happy.

A shot from the previous day. Caked mud that will be completely washed today.

Click image to enlarge

Empty highway, cruise control 3k above the speed limit and JJJ radio station – the happiness continues all the way to Maitland. I make some pretty good progress. Around Maitland however things change. Massive lorries, pulling massive trailers are blocking the road and shuffle slowly from one traffic light to the next. Apparently, they continue to dig for coal here. I cannot believe this is Hunter Valley, one of the prettiest wine making regions of Australia. O well, people still consider mining to be more important.

I survive the big lorries of Maitland and without much drama arrive in Anna Bay. It’s 1.30pm – plenty of time for the sand, but the rain is still pelting outside with added strong wind. I can’t imagine pulling the tent up in this weather, but still don’t give up. At a caravan park I ask for the cheapest anything with a roof. The place is packed with families, who’ve come here to celebrate Australia day, but I am in luck, the last cabin available only for tonight is $70 cash, which I gladly pay and then immediately drive to the sand.

Finally, the moment has come! I use the Stauns to deflate the tyres and when I remove them, one of the tyres looks much flatter. The pressure is less than 10psi. Lucky I brought a compact compressor to pump it up. So much for my efforts to adjust the Stauns at 16psi. Knob goes to “Sand” and I am off, but don’t know where to drive. I decide to follow someone else’s tracks, which I often lose because visibility is poor. The car floats deliciously and I quickly discover a few things about driving in sand: stopping is different and best avoided, twisting the steering wheel doesn’t mean much (to make a turn you have to plan it to be longer and smoother), and forget about manoeuvring in short spaces… Suddenly I come out on the beach with low tide and my Landie picks up speed. It’s a remarkable feeling. Then the devil pushes me to drive back into the dunes and climb some of the big ones. First try is unsuccessful then I choose less steep approach and learn to be bolder, going up with speed and without hesitation, terrified and elated at the same time. I test the Hill Decent Control, forgetting to switch it off for the next climb, but it still works.

Hey look – my Landie can swim.
Click image to enlarge

Driving on the beach at low tide.
Click image to enlarge

My first climb.
Click image to enlarge

I enjoy myself so much and become so confident, that I start taking some risks, which lead to couple of really scary incidents. I blame the low visibility, but nevertheless I should’ve been more careful. The first one happens while driving quite fast on top of a dune. Suddenly a big depression comes up and the car goes into a free fall. We hit the sand so violently that my Maxtrax (until now they rest unused under the luggage cover) fly over the back seats and land on the dash board. There is no damage, but I am in shock and stop. Now, when I try to continue, instead of moving forward, I feel how the car starts moving down – a sinking feeling! Then I remember someone recommending “mud-ruts” to reverse out. I try and luck is with me again.

Luck stays with me for the second similarly dangerous moment. It happens on the way back, when I decide to have one more last dash at the big dunes. This time I don’t follow other people’s tracks, but cut the sand myself higher and higher. It’s dark and the wipers hardly manage to swipe the rain. In this blindness some instinct tells me to stop. I do stop and can’t see anything in front of the car. I get out for a better look and am absolutely stunt – there is truly nothing in front of the car, except a massive hole leading down to the forest some 40, 50m bellow. The left front wheel is already hanging over it. I am freaking out, but again gently gently reverse using mud-ruts and then I am out of there!

It is not possible to show the scale of the dune. I’ll test the Hill Descent Control going down to the left – it works pretty well!
Click image to enlarge

How is Stockton Beach possible without a Sygna photo?
Click image to enlarge

Vesko on top of the World.
Click image to enlarge

O-o, my celebration tonight! Only the first timers can understand the feeling. Back in the seventy bucks cabin, I open a bottle of my favourite Shiraz, Windham Estate’s BIN 555, (which is a Hunter Valley winery by the way) and cook myself a feast, starting with nice haloumi chees and peppery lettuce/tomato salad (goes well with the wine).

Well, friends – not much left. The drive to Sydney next morning is uneventful, except for a P-plater, who insists to drive faster than the 80kh limit. There is no convenient place to let him overtake and for a while he is stuck behind me. Finally we get to a double lane roundabout, where the guy cuts in front, but just a few kilometres later in the distance I see some flashing lights and surely enough, I pass the P-plater, stopped by police. I feel sorry for the young fella… Soon I forget about it and I am thinking: I will give you extra double wash, super vacuuming, internal detailing, new leather treatment, wax and polish. The Landie responds with a gentle murmur…

That’s it – My little driving adventure.

Lessons learned:

1.Keep constant contact with the loved ones, by any means and however strong your desire for solitude is.
2.Don’t be too ambitious, take it easy. I wish I had an extra day at Yerranderie, as well as at Sofala and Hill End, as well as extra day at the dunes. I tried to do too much in just three days.
3.Have to change those alloy rims. I was lucky in the bush – hitting the rock on the first day could’ve been much worse. Now I am looking for 17” steel rims with off road tyres, which I can use for going in the bush.
4.Don’t be alone, if you wish to take risks. I don’t know what would have happened, if I didn’t stop on the edge of my last dune.
5.In the future I should remove the plastic bits under the front, as well as the mud flaps over the front wheels “aerodynamic trim panels” before going bush or in sand. It’s actually on page 75 of the owner’s handbook.

Damages: Not much. Lots of sand came out when I hosed the car underneath, but I am surprised there is not a scratch on the paint work. Little damage on the front left alloy rim and a broken fastener, which holds the plastic plate under the front (see point 5 above).

The front left rim. It is not much, but every time I see it, it reminds me what could have happened. The alloy looks like plastic, doesn’t it?
Click image to enlarge

Will I do it again? You bet. I enjoyed my trip so much that I already started planning the next one. Lake Eyre! This is once in a lifetime opportunity to see the largest lake in Australia with actual water in it. Perhaps in July... if the water doesn’t evaporate by then.

Thank you for tolerating my silly enthusiasm.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #130258 2nd Feb 2012 9:21 am
EYorkshire

Excellent adventure Vesko Thumbs Up You also have a 'knack' in how to write a good story, kept my interest 100% and felt like I was part of the trip (I wish)
The only time we can drive onto a beach is when part of it is roped off to make a carpark. Sad although I believe there are one or two in Ireland that can be driven on legally.

Post #130269 2nd Feb 2012 10:39 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Excellent report Vesko. You are right about being careful on your own. I took my FL2 to Lake Eyre a few years ago and there is a memorial to an Austrian tourist who perished after bogging her Toyota in the sand of the car park. It was summer and she tried to walk the 60 kms back to William Creek in 50 degree celsius heat. The local copper drove the Toyota out unassisted by letting a bit more air out of the tyres. A tragedy that shouldn't have happened.
On your way to Lake Eyre, make sure you spend some time in the Flinders Ranges. Camp at Rawnsley Park and do the Arkapena Scenic Adventure, Skytrek, Wilpena Pound and Brachina Gorge. The place is awsome and I should know because I've just about done everywhere. Wildlife, scenery and steep tracks Smile Take an extra spare tyre when you are outback.

Post #130288 2nd Feb 2012 3:05 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

there is a beach in Ireland with vehicle right of way, At my cousins wedding years back we were able to watch the whole process from the reception window,

car driving
car stuck
frantic rescue attempts
car drowned
car gone

Very Happy At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #130309 2nd Feb 2012 6:25 pm
Vesko

Uf-f, what a week! Only a person, trying to make a living in Sydney would understand Mad

EYorkshire, I am truly humbled by your kind words, considering how much I enjoyed telling the story. May the Irish Gods be with you! Very Happy

mikehzz, before I go I will contact you for more detailed information about the region. Initially I set my eyes on Flinders Ranges and then the lake. With all the places you mention, I have to be careful to see what I can fit in about 10, 12 days. Now I've read the story about the couple from Austria http://www.4x4tips.com/lake-eyre.html and intend to get better prepared... I am still sad!

chicken george, Bow down

Post #130406 3rd Feb 2012 12:01 pm
jaksbak@freel2

I agree with EYorkshire - nice story and such a good reason to log on to the forum to see if you had any further updates. I've long explored the rugged terrain of Australia and was very fortunate in having a father who entrenched the idea from early childhood. Whilst I don't have my own kids, I love taking my nieces and nephews off the beaten track to give them a taste and I know they love it. Hooked I dare say.
Now that you have "sampled" the lifestyle, there's no turning back. My one tip is to have a big box with everything you need for a quick weekend away - ready and raring to go whenever the moons align!

Post #130408 3rd Feb 2012 12:07 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I REALLY enjoyed reading that..please update after your next trip. you lucky sod,,

Post #131834 13th Feb 2012 7:59 pm
Vesko

I’ve made a video of my trip – nothing much, most of the imagery you have seen on the photos, just connected together the short video clips I filmed along the way:

http://vimeo.com/36950083

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

Post #132403 17th Feb 2012 9:30 am
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Thumbs Up Looks great Thumbs Up

Post #132406 17th Feb 2012 9:49 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Fantastic report. When we did Brisbane -> Port Macquarie -> Dubbo -> Brisbane, we went through Maitland. Wish I had thought to (and had the bottle to) ride the dunes at Stockton!

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #132410 17th Feb 2012 12:48 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Thanks for the video..... I had to google Sygna..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Sygna JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #132503 17th Feb 2012 10:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12