Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Premium fuel? How "premium" is premium?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zoey

United States 
Premium fuel? How "premium" is premium?

I've tried the search function, but was unsuccessful.
The manual for MY10 HSE Sport states:

Quote:
Octane rating

Mid or regular grade gasoline with a CLC or AKI octane rating not lower than 87 should be used.
For optimum performance use fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91 (CLC or AKI). The
vehicle will run on lower grade fuel, but doing so may cause engine knock or pinking.
Note: Occasional, light, engine knock
experienced while accelerating or climbing hills
is acceptable.

I have always thought that the US used RON, but from searching the net found that both Canada and the US use AKI standards (R+M)/2. I've only owned the vehicle for about 1300 miles, and have used 91 octane until tonight. I mixed 89 and 91 in a 50:50 mixture. I heard no pinging on the way home. At the station I use, 87 and 89 are priced the same.

My question is, based upon what the manual states, is it acceptable and safe for the engine to simply change to 89 octane? From what I understand, the ECU retards the ignition when a lower octane fuel is used. But I've also read that the engines run hotter, which predisposes them to pre-ignition. I've also heard that moving to a lower octane can result in increased fuel consumption. So, I'm at somewhat of a loss. The prices for premium fuel have risen significantly, and are predicted to keep climbing.

Post #89480 24th Jan 2011 5:16 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Zoey: Most forum members are running on diesel. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #89490 24th Jan 2011 8:30 am
alex_pescaru

The FL2 system isn't as the old ones where you mechanically put/switch a jumper to specify which octane rating you are using in order to modify the advance.
The advance curves are programmed inside engine ECU and are the same for all fuel grades.
And they are calculated for an as efficient burn process as possible.
More of that, the engine ECU will try to slightly and progresivelly increase de advance to reach an optimum balance between power output and efficiency.
But, with the help of the knock sensors, the system knows when detonation occurs (which is sooner for a low grade type of fuel) and stop there with the increase of the advance. If the detonation still occur, it will decrease the advance even more.
The same with a hot engine. It will start to knock/ping and then the detonation sensors will the tell the engine ECU and the engine ECU will retard the ignition which in turn will reduce the internal temperature.
So it is a self adjusting system which will try to adapt to any fuel grade. This is why you didn't hear the engine pinging.
So you can use any grade of fuel but it is better to not exagerate and follow the instructions.
As for the consumption, yes, the lower the octane grade, the less efficient is the burning process which in turn will translate in a higher fuel consumption for a specific load.
For more informations read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Post #89497 24th Jan 2011 8:59 am
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I have used 87,89,91, and 94 octane gas when available. 89 octane is usually priced OK, but 94 octane can be up to 0.20 cents per liter more than regular 87 octane at the pumps. LR and Volvo representatives have said in the past that the inline 6 cylinder (i6) petrol engine used in the LR2 can run on regular 87 gas. Premium (high Octane) gas is recommend (for normal use) because of mileage and exhaust emissions.

Post #89526 24th Jan 2011 3:42 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

The price? I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #89529 24th Jan 2011 4:18 pm
zoey

United States 

Quote:
Zoey: Most forum members are running on diesel.

So, not only am I one of the few who have a petrol engine, but I'm also the only Yank Sad

Alex: Thanks for the explanation. Quite helpful. I gather that my best bet is to re-flash the ECU with a more conservative curve to improve fuel consumption, and continue to pump plutonium priced fuel into the tank? Yes, compared to what the rest of the world pays for fuel, I should be thankful.

Quote:
The price?
91 octane is 3,50US/gallon (2.19 sterling), and regular is 3,17US/gallon(1,98 sterling).

Post #89649 25th Jan 2011 6:44 am
alex_pescaru

If you want to do it for the consumption, the so called "econotune", then you can.
If you want to do the reflash only for the car to accept the low grade fuel, don't.
As I've said, the car adapts to each type of fuel. More of that, the inconveniences of a low grade fuel are perceived only when you request top power from the engine.
If I were you I will leave it as it is, try to use the low grade a period of time to see how it handles and I would take it easy on the gas pedal... Laughing It's the best econotune... Laughing

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 25th Jan 2011 8:28 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #89652 25th Jan 2011 8:27 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The national avg for

diesel is £1.32 highest £1.46 per litre
Premium diesel £1.40 highest £1.48 per litre

Unleaded £1.28 highest £1.42 per litre
Super Unleaded £1.35 highest £1.45

LPG £0.75 highest £0.86 per litre Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89653 25th Jan 2011 8:28 am
zoey

United States 

The econotune is exactly what I am looking for. I've called the dealer three times, but keep being sent to the service managers voice mail.

Post #89713 25th Jan 2011 7:15 pm
zoey

United States 

I talked to the service department today, and they do not do re-flashes, nor do they know of anyone who does. Crying or Very sad

Post #89850 26th Jan 2011 7:31 pm
Walter_F

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White

Sorry for arriving late to the party.

Zoey - go ahead, run the regular 87 and save some $$. That's pretty much all I've been using for the last three years and thirty-five thousand miles with no issues. Mileage is adequate and I've never heard any complaints (pinging) from the engine even when climbing the mountains of West Virginia with the A/C on.

Post #95337 15th Mar 2011 5:33 pm
zoey

United States 

At last fill up I used premium, and according to the computer I'm getting 20.2 mpg. Granted, I've come to the conclusion that the computer is generous by about 1.5 mpg, and that as the tank empties, the average falls.

I can't tell if this is just an anomaly, or if the rising ambient temperatures have something to do with it. We've finally achieved a temperature above freezing.

Post #95360 15th Mar 2011 8:39 pm
jaxbeach

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Narvik Black

I use premium and my mileage around town runs between high 19's and 20. My average speed is less than 30 mph. Highway if I keep it under 70 mph and use the cruise control I have gotten above 26 mpg. I have never used anything but premium and would be interested in the results from those using regular.

Post #110203 14th Aug 2011 11:44 am
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

jaxbeach wrote:
I use premium and my mileage around town runs between high 19's and 20. My average speed is less than 30 mph. Highway if I keep it under 70 mph and use the cruise control I have gotten above 26 mpg. I have never used anything but premium and would be interested in the results from those using regular.

I second this. I am pretty much getting the same numbers as jaxbeach and I also only run "premium" 91 fuel. Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #110241 14th Aug 2011 8:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1