Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 1 - 1.8 Petrol - Any Issues? mpg?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 
Freelander 1 - 1.8 Petrol - Any Issues? mpg?

I'm looking at a 2004 FL1 for the wife, only as a cheap runabout that will cope with the winter weather etc. Seen a lovely example but it's a 1.8 petrol whereas I was really wanting the TD4. However it is very cheap, low mileage and has a full dealer history.

I'm aware of the head gasket issues with these, is there anything preventative you can do?

Also, what sort of mpg can you squeeze from this engine please?

Any advice/tips appreciated.

Post #107256 8th Jul 2011 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tonyc

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Freely 1

Keep checking the coolant at least weekly
average mpg I got from my 1.8 petrol was about 25. Tony

Post #107264 8th Jul 2011 11:21 am
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Hmm, that mpg is too low for me really, her current Audi A4 2.0 FSi is averaging 30-32mpg with mixed use and can pull 39mpg on cruise on a run.

How much better is the TD4?

Post #107266 8th Jul 2011 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

this months l r o magazine is running an issue on fl1 in workshop section i am sure it says that after 2002my there is not a great issue with cooling probs on fl1 because of modifocations done but still check that coolent res
has no brown apperance as would indicate it has been cooked at some time Thumbs Up Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #107270 8th Jul 2011 12:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have had a TD4 on loan in the past and a trip to scotland and back I worked it out at 31mpg fill up to fill up, with 3 adults and snowboards in Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #107271 8th Jul 2011 12:13 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Another question, do you know if you can fit cruise control to them as we really like this feature?

ISTR the autobox variants had it as standard but we would be going for a manual

Post #107273 8th Jul 2011 12:50 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

My wife has got a 2006 TD4 FL1 which she has done only 8,000 miles on in the last 3 years as it was her second car. There are 2 issues that have arisen that you may wish to be aware of:

1. Drivers seat is not height adjustable. Therefore, at 5 ' 11 '', I am way too high up the screen for my liking and don't drive it for that reason. Missus is just over 5 ft and is fine with it.

2. There is a know fault with the battery fastening where the round nut (Yes I did mean round !!!) is moulded into the battery tray base and the bolt corrodes and seizes into it. Soon as you try to unsrew it to remove the battery it just turns in its moulding. Only solution is to spend ages at it with a hacksaw blade - bearable on your drive but bit pants on the side of the road !!

Other than that no probs whatsoever Shocked !!.

Post #107283 8th Jul 2011 2:37 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Had a TD4 auto for a couple of years - over 60K.
Good engine, some have had sensor problems, I was lucky.
Does not like poor fuel - fuel filter hidden in rear wheel arch is not the easiest to access, so make sure it is changed during service. Also needs the crankcase breather changing, this wasn't listed on original service schedules, but became standard later on.
Takes a mild tune well 110,bhp standard - take her up to 135bhp, the auto managed 28-30mpg, not exactly driven gently Very Happy
SWMBO prefered the manual older diesel, not for the engine, but because she doesn't like auto's, and the non-body coloured wheel arches and bumpers would take "rough parking" in their stride. Also the FL1 rear side opening door is better for those at 4'10" (& 1/4").
Like all FL1's put larger(newer?) tyres on the back, failure to do this WILL ruin the rear diff, IRD gearbox, & viscous couping. Do not under any circumstances accept a suspended tow, where the front wheels are lifted and held static, while the rear wheels are dragged along the ground, even for a few yards - it will destroy the IRD unit. Crying or Very sad
To be honest I loved ours and was dubious about the FL2, for several months I was sure I had done the wrong thing in changing. Still miss the older auto box, positive steering feedback, and proper rear door.
Speaking of which look in the boot, their is an under floor compartment, this should be bone dry, if not the doorseal, waist seal, door handle or roof rails are leaking.
Have a look underneath, if the sills are bent it's one of my old ones - walk away Shocked while you are there make sure the rear propshaft is connected / installed, no I am not kidding ther are many 2WD FL1's knocking about and you only find out when it's too late and snowing.
Look at the rear tyres, if they have a castleated appearance or scalloped look, the viscous coupling has failed - not the end of the world but will cost £800 - £1,000 if caught early.

Sorry for the ramblings but it's late and the wine was nice. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #107322 8th Jul 2011 11:12 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Personally, wouldn't touch a petrol mk1 with a barge-poll.
I advised a friend against it a few years ago, he ignored the advice - cost him £900 to fix the inevitable blown head gasket.

Post #107328 9th Jul 2011 8:15 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Save your money and buy a set of winter tyres for the Audi. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #107330 9th Jul 2011 8:53 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

On FL1 the viscous coupling on rear propshaft fails, it seizes and you are them permanent 4 wheel drive. This is the cause of rear diff and transfer box failures. Many many garages have fitted new rear diff then a few months/weeks later transfer box fails, they do not replace offending coupling on propshaft.
On diesel TD4 (BMW) there is also a problem with blocked crankcase breathers which when blocked blow engine oil out exhaust and can damage engine and turbo. This is located behind cam cover in plastic casing. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #107332 9th Jul 2011 8:58 am
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

To be honest, I would not touch the F1 petrol with a barge pole!!! I had one around 1998 and it was a mess!!! Fortunately it was a company car. The firm made me get rid of it after 12 months or so. The list of problems were endless.Brakes, clutch,electrics, leaks,misfiring !!!!

I would not recommend an F1 to anyone

Post #107353 9th Jul 2011 3:30 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

FREELANDER 1=WORST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN!

Post #107354 9th Jul 2011 3:41 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I had a 1.8 petrol, at the time I bought it I was looking for a Golf Diesel, the Freelander was in a VW dealer at a good price and they gave me a decent price for a Honda HRV that I was less than happy with.

I ran it for about a year with no problems, apart from from filling it with petrol more often than I would have liked, I got rid of it because of the excessive fuel consumption. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #107355 9th Jul 2011 4:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1